Friday, January 7, 2011

Book: The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell

Photo | iPhone 3GS
Apps 1 | PS Express, Black & White
Apps 2 | Instagram, X-Pro II

I'm currently reading this on my way to the city.  I thought I'd fill in my spare time sitting in the tram by reading a book rather than browsing through my phone.  This is the second book of Malcom Gladwell that I am reading after "The Outliers".

"The Tipping Point" is about understanding how little things can make a big difference, just like what the title says.  You know how sometimes you wonder, how come all of a sudden everyone started owning a DSLR and become interested in photography?  The fact that the price of gadgets are getting cheaper may contribute to this craze, but there are other factors that we are not aware of.  Like, how come macarons suddenly becomes the latest craze and trend in Malaysia?  Who started it?  It's about things like that... how suddenly some trends become popular very quickly, how things spread through word-of-mouth, and how certain things suddenly come to a point and 'tip'.

So far, from the two of Malcolm Gladwell's book that I've read, I find the language to be easy to understand.  It is written in a conversational language and for me that's what makes the book interesting to read.  It's not a book that you have to finish all in one shot like a novel.  It's the kind of book that you can continue to read anytime that you're free, and can still pretty much remember the things he has talked about.  And the best thing about reading books like this is you also increase your vocabularies and knowledge of things that you might have otherwise not known.

We bought "The Outliers" and "The Tipping Point" at MPH back in Malaysia, as it was sold as a bundle with some price discounts.

No comments:

Post a Comment